Local Fitness Classes (+ The Benefits)
I've gotten quite a few q's about a new group fitness class I've been attending lately so I'm going to share with you all of the details in today's post! As seen on the ‘gram, last week I started going to a fitness class in downtown Coffeyville. These classes are hosted by Katelyn Osborn, owner + founder of Sparrow Fitness LLC. Katelyn holds certificates in both Personal Training and Fitness Nutrition and is also a fitness/physique competitor. (So basically she knows her shit.)
The classes are held on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 5:15a and go for about 45min to an hour long. The time goes by SO fast and sometimes we do a quick 8 to 10 min cardio sesh after the workout class.
The way Katelyn has the classes set up is referred to as AMRAP (as many reps as possible) so these classes are literally for any level of fitness, beginner or expert! For instance, each class will consist of warm-ups and then AMRAP style workouts. Each workout will be a specific time 'working' and a specific time 'resting' (e.g. workout for 20 sec, rest for 10 sec, workout for 20, rest for 10 - for 3 rounds). The best part about this style of working out is not feeling like a failure LOL! For instance, I might only be able to get out 10 burpees but my girlfriend might be able to push out 12! You're so focused on what you're doing that you're not noticing what the ladies around you are accomplishing. What's that old saying...'i'm too focused watering my own grass to notice if yours is greener'.
Anyways, I'm seriously digging these classes so much; I was even able to convince a couple friends to join in on the fun so the accountability has really helped me ditch the snooze button.
A few benefits I've noticed from attending these classes:
- Accountability. Like I mentioned above, when you have friends meeting you at the fitness class it makes it harder to skip! They have helped me stay accountable + motivated to get my ass up!
- I don't have to think too hard about it. I fall in and out of love with the gym all of the time. I love going to the gym because I love the way it makes me feel afterwards. I hate going to the gym because most of the time I don't know what the hell I'm doing or how I need to structure my workouts to yield the best results! With this class being led by a lady who knows what she's doing, all I have to do is show up and put in the work. I don't have to think too hard about what exercise to do next!
- Doing it right. Katelyn is a huge advocate of ‘form over reps’. Making sure each person is going at their own pace and that their form is on point. She often expresses that it is much more important to do 5 GOOD squats rather than 10 halfass squats. She is there to guide you through the motions, celebrating and applauding when she sees you push through a set. So essentially it's like personal training without the cost of personal training. 😉
- It's actually fun. Yea sometimes I'm dirty cussing my alarm clock when it goes off at 4a but when I get to the class and see my girlfriends there I get pumped + excited to conquer the class. Plus it sets the mood for the rest of my day! By the time 3p rolls around I've actually forgotten that I had woken up at the ass crack of dawn and already put in the work!
A few details on the classes if you're local and want to give it a try!
The cost for each class is either $8 OR $4 + a donation; as outlined below.
- 5:15a Monday - Upper Body (donation: a pair of socks)
- 5:15a Wednesday - Plyo/Core (donation: women's sanitary product)
- 5:15a Friday - Lower Body (donation: 5 Walmart type sacks)
If you're interested and want a buddy to go with, give me a shout!!