Setting Badass Intentions
I’ve been fighting with my heart lately and I can’t help but feel like it’s all a part of this self-proclaimed soul searching journey. Or at least telling myself that makes me feel a little bit less insane. The last few months I have been going in and out of these dazes and it seems as though as the time goes by that these feelings and urges keep getting stronger and stronger.
It all started last year when I was eating dinner at Olive Garden with my family. I glanced up, saw my (older) sister drinking a lemon martini and, for some reason, I felt the need to ask her how old she was. But why? In my head I knew exactly how old she was but it felt like I had stepped out of my body and was looking at the scene from the outside in. She promptly and obviously, a bit surprised, asks me, “Ugh, WHY?!!!”… Urging for some kind of comforting answer, I asked her again. Then I cried. That’s how it happened, folks. I had a quarter-life crisis right there at the damn Olive Garden. At least I had pasta + wine to cry over and give me comfort.
Want to know what spurred the cry-fest? Honestly, I think my heart was feeling conflicted. I have several personalities (emphasis on the "several") and at that exact moment I felt like I had failed miserably on exploring all of my personalities throughout my life by only living the ones that have been the main "stars" of my lifetime. The bubbly personality, the kind personality, the loyal personality, the compassionate personality, the HBIC personality, the stubborn and steadfast personality. All good traits but what about the others..the ones that don't shine so bright? Does that make sense? Like a fine wine, with age we get better...and sweeter, right? As we evolve, we learn to explore ourselves on a deeper + more terrifying level. We learn new activities / hobbies and acquire new interests, we go through our very own evolution's.
Here's what I'm saying:
- I love a good designer purse but I also love power tools and making something out of nothing.
- I love and adore décor but I’m a huge fan of blank space.
- I love keeping a cushion in my savings account but I also live for the phrase YOLO.
- I love stability but I crave spontaneity.
- I love being outdoors and getting my hands dirty but I also love upscale restaurants and dressing up.
- I love knickknacks but I love the art of minimalism.
- I love steadiness but desire freedom.
- I love owning my very own business but some days I prefer to not be bothered by any responsibilities. #YOGAPANTSARELIFE
Rad Girl's Guide to SetTING Badass Intentions
But how does one go about having it all? Living the wild + free but stable life? First, I believe it all starts with the right intentions and letting go of the need for societal validation. I know a lot of people (myself included) who have missed out on so many adventures and opportunities because they were too afraid of what others would think about them or the decisions made. Ditching the need for approval doesn't happen overnight. It's something that grows and gets better the more we feel self-assured + confident with ourselves and our decisions.
So what's an intention, anyways? An intention is a guiding principle for how you want to be, live, and show up in the world. What matters most to you? Your answer to this can craft a powerful intention that will help you align your actions as you go about your day.
How to set badass intentions:
- Make sure your intentions can evolve. If you stick with the same intention week after week your mind will get bored. Think about that brand new perfume you bought. It smells fabulous for the first week or 2 but after that the scent is not as stout / fragrant.
- Keep that shit positive. Think about what you want not what you don't want. Example: do say, "My intention is to invite peace and calmness within myself." don't say, My intention is to not be a hot freakin' mess."
- Create goals with soul with sub-intentions. This year, one of my main goals is to hike more and complain less. So my sub-intention could be: "My intention for this week is to hike Turkey Mountain three times and practice gratitude twice a day." My intention has room to grow and evolve throughout the year while still fulfilling my main goal.
- Let the universe have your back. Setting goals with soul and powerful intentions set the infinite organizing power of the Universe in motion. Don't listen to that pesky inner mean girl that says you have to be in charge and that your obsessive control is the only way to get anything done. The outcome that you're trying so hard to force may not be as good as the one that comes organically. Release your intentions with purity and then let them flourish when the season is right for you.
- My intention is to feel great in my own skin.
- My intention is to implement a realistic, healthful lifestyle that helps me attain my weight goals.
- My intention is to radiate good vibes for myself and others.
- My intention is to live a balanced life.
- My intention is to learn to skills and activities to prosper in my career.
- My intention is to feel love and give love.
- My intention is to empower and be empowered.
- My intention is to feel comfortable with money and my spending habits.
- My intention is to create work that is soul-satisfying.
- My intention is to feel secure.
Still need help? Think about these questions to spark a heart-felt intention:
What are you grateful for?
- What matters most to YOU?
- What word(s) would you like to align yourself with? (brave, courage, kind, passion, etc)
- What would you like to build, create, or nurture in your life? A business? A family? Your career?
- What would you like to let go of?
- Who would you like to forgive in your life? Maybe it's yourself.
- How do you feel when you are your happiest self?
- What makes you proud to be YOU?
- What fears would you like to release? (divorce, past investments ["debt"], insecurities, loneliness)
Go ahead! Create a badass intention now! You deserve it.
By the way, I find this quote to be comforting, I hope you do too:
“There is no statute of limitations on starting over. Re-invent yourself every day. Be the girl who walks barefoot and listens to the blues. Tomorrow, wear a trench coat and speak fierce truths. Be a phoenix. Be ashes. Burn down. Resurrect. Let go of the idea that you must always be who you have always been.”
2017 Goals with soul
Give back to this beautiful Earth
Beef up my savings
Positively impact a life or two
Own less, live more
More spontaneity + less control
What are your intentions for 2017? How is this year going to be better than 2016?